Also known as Yellowface
|Click for more|
Key identification features:
- Frons blackish along sides. Top of frons and top of head distinctly brilliant metallic green, but may appear metallic blue from some angles. Post frons (lower frons) yellow
- Eyes dark grey above, light grey below.
- Thorax pruinescent greyish blue. Young males with yellow stripes (blotchy at front) divided by distinct dark grey lines
- Wings clear to slightly smoky with tips often becoming dark. Wing base brown. Disproportionately long for length of abdomen. Pterostigmas pale yellowish to greyish brown between distinct dark veins, 3.4–3.7 mm long.
- Abdomen broad tapering sharply from s 8 to narrow claspers. Pruinescent greyish blue with some yellow markings when young.
- Yellow face and metallic on top of head
- Pterostigmas pale
- Body yellowish and heavily marked in dark brown especially upper surfaces of thorax and abdomen.
- Abdomen broad tapering from s 4.
Compared with other species:
- Simmilar to African Piedspot, Hemistigma albipunctum, by older males uniformly grey but H. albipunctum with yellow marking on lower abdomen. Differs by; (a) Frons metallic Green only to the antifrons (b) pterostigmas pale greyish brown between distinctly dark veins compared to bi-coloured of H. albipunctum; (c) face yellow; (d)wings has no dark markings between subcostal veins; (e) wingtips of females clear to slightly darkened
Distribution and habitat
- Localised along the KZN coastal area , MP and LP Lowveld
- Prefer the fringes of warm savanna pools, pools in association with humid coastal forest and with some cover. Adults are often found sheltering inside forest, sometimes in great numbers. Breeding mainly in open marsh,
- It perches usually about 1.5–2.0 m from the ground, on the end of twigs extending from the tree canopy or tall grass at the pool edge. It Perches in a conspicuous position from where it watches all around by constantly moving its head at different angles. This behaviour gave it the name Inspector.
Further reading and other information: