|Click for more|
Key identification features:
- White pterostigmas and golden tip at the end of the abdomen is diagnostic.
- Wings are smoky.
- Thorax black with light pale blue.
- Similar but less brightly coloured.
- Abdomen tip blueish with sometime yellow colouring.
Compared with other species:
- Unmistakable. No other spesies to compare with.
Distribution and habitat:
- Endemic to South Africa.
- Clear, shallow, forest streams. Varies from well forested areas to occasional bushes and trees.
- Montane forests along the coastal highlands from Western Cape - to Limpopo Provinces.
- Flits in sunny spots among branches overhanging streams, landing and perching in a conspicuous position.
- The white pterostigmas are clearly visible in flight.
- Fluttering flight pattern.
- Sometime in large numbers.